Followers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Women and the Holy Spirit

If we ask, “what would Jesus do in His new body, i.e. the church; that would be a continuation of what he did in his original body?” The answer is obvious; he would continue to make growing the kingdom his top priority. When Jesus ministered on earth he spoke often about the priority of the kingdom, but He mentioned the church only twice. He did say, “I will build my church” (Matt. 16:18). But it is obvious that the reason he would build his church is to continue the work he began. And that work was the building of his Father’s Kingdom.

What do you think Jesus would do with the physically disabled?
90% of the physically disabled in America have no relationship with a church!
80% of American families with a disabled member experience a divorce.

When we consider the ministry of Jesus in his original body, it is inconceivable that his New Testament body, the church, is so disengaged from the physically disabled who were so important to him while he was physically on earth. For all the good things about the Church Growth Movement, its label communicates the wrong objective. If it had been called “Growing God’s Kingdom Through Churches” it would have had a clumsy name, but it also would have been right on target.

Some of us grew up reciting the Lord’s Prayer from Luke eleven in church every Sunday. We are familiar with the part that says, “Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Those fourteen words may be so familiar that they no longer have an impact on us. But take a second look. It tells us “wherever God’s will breaks into human experience the kingdom is operative!” Wow, that is pretty powerful!

And it also raises some serious questions. Is God’s will always being done in every church? Of course the answer is no. All of us have been involved in church efforts that in retrospect we know could not have been God’s will. Remember the people who didn’t appreciate the first MOPS group or the ones who almost killed the Calvary Chapel Movement.

The kingdom is not the result of human organization, or fallible belief systems. That is why there are no Liberal/ Fundamentalist Controversies in the kingdom. Many church leaders have longed to equate their church ministry with God’s kingdom. But the minute they take a stand on issues such as the role of the Holy Spirit in the believer’s life or the role of women in church, they risk being wrong and you can’t be wrong in the kingdom.

7 comments:

shannon w kirkpatrick said...

Rich, I miss ya my friend!

I really like where you are going with this church series. Here at my first semester of seminary, I have been coming to related conclusions. It's nice to know I'm in the same boat with you!

s

Rich said...

Shannon you are so gifted...be a faithful minister of the Word...I Tim. 4

Mark said...

Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

It tells us “wherever God’s will breaks into human experience the kingdom is operative!” Wow, that is pretty powerful!

?.... or that when we pray we are to pray for God's plan and will in our lives and the world, not our plan.

When we consider the ministry of Jesus in his original body, it is inconceivable that his New Testament body, the church, is so disengaged from the physically disabled who were so important to him while he was physically on earth.

You seem to be saying, and perhaps I misunderstand, that disabled folks are somehow being ignored by the church, as if Jesus' healings were to teach us (the church) not to ignore them? This would be in my opinion an incorrect understanding of all the scriptural accounts of Christ healing others. Christ was establishing an irrefutable authority (He was indeed God in flesh doing only what God could do), and secondly He did on a few occasions tell folks not to mention what He had miraculously done. His message was most important (doctrine), not a circus of spectacular events.


And it also raises some serious questions. Is God’s will always being done in every church? Of course the answer is no.

This has me thinking...I think God's will is simply not one dimensional, no?

Rich said...

Mark I love your comments. I did say disabled people in general are ignored in the church in America. And I do believe as I read the Bible that a primary ministry of Jesus in the flesh is to disabled people. If I want to do what Jesus did when he walked this earth I would be intentional to the disabled. I do not think the average church in America does that.

JennyRain said...

God breaking in ---> The miraculous catch of fish in the sun, after the disciples had been fishing all night and caught nothing

Just another church program ----> The hundreds of fish-followers that jumped into their boats at high noon and dumped out their nets into the waters hoping for the same haul but not getting bumpkis.

How can we - as the church - be more intentional about creating the soil and the environment that welcomes the unexpected breaking in of God?

Because for me, I wanna catch some unexpected fish :)

Mark said...

If I want to do what Jesus did when he walked this earth I would be intentional to the disabled. I do not think the average church in America does that.

I guess I don't read the Bible and see Christ being anymore "intentional" about healing the physically disabled than I do Him intentionally confronting and changing hearts. Everyone He healed and raised from the dead - eventually died. Doing anything on the behalf of Christ, is a ministry, no? I think I see your point; ministry is as important as doctrine and all believers are called to a ministry? Or ….’am I getting close?

Caring for the “disabled” physically should be no less a concern than caring for them spiritually (Gospel driven not purpose driven) :) If we (the church) are told to give with one hand that doesn’t know what the other hand is doing (Matthew 6:3), it seems to me it should be like blinking an eye.

Mark said...

How can we - as the church - be more intentional about creating the soil and the environment that welcomes the unexpected breaking in of God?

Answer: Preach and teach the gospel. Lest "we" start thinking "the church" is “creating soil" and an "environment" that helps God do what only His message can do and which we are commanded to teach and preach. My point - if we start feeling good about our works and how good we are doing, is that not idolatry? I humbly ask you to consider, any environment or soil creating, that is absent of the eternal reality of God’s judgment, His law, eternal hell, warn of His wrath, crushing the sinner under the weight of his utter disregard and violation of His law; standing guilty before God – is not a biblical presentation of God’s message to man.

Blessings!

About Me

My photo
I am a slave to no man or institution. I have worked with Frank Tillapaugh for thirty years and most of the ideas are work we would like to share.

The next generation

The next generation
God thank you for two amazing young leaders

Looking Forward

Looking Forward
Each year I get to spend time with young leaders and the gap is growing between them and my generation, why?

Popular Posts