Followers

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Compliance and Commitment

In the January 14th blog I ended with the statement, “volunteers operate at just one level of commitment.” So the opposite of commitment for volunteers is compliance.

Most of the time, when we begin our recruit wars, what we really are asking of volunteers is to come and comply. We want them to do what we want them to do, not what God has called them to do. If we really wanted them to do what God wanted them to do we would ask a very different question, “If you could do anything this year for God what would it be?” Then I believe we would set out to equip them to do just that! So what does compliance look like?

Five Possible Levels of Compliance When Responding to a Vision

1.Genuine Compliance: Sees the benefits of the vision. Does everything expected and more. Follows the “letter of the law.” Good Soldiers.
2.Formal Compliance: On the whole sees the benefits of the vision. Does what is expected and more. Pretty good soldiers.
3.Grudging Compliance: Does not see the benefits of the vision. But, does not want to lose job. Does enough of what’s expected but lets it be known that he is really not on board.
4.Noncompliance: Does not see the benefits of the vision and will not do what is expected. “I won’t do it, and you can’t make me.”
5. Apathy: Neither for or against the vision, no interest, no energy, “Is it five
o'clock yet?”

The One Level of Commitment:

Wants it. Will make it happen. Creates whatever “laws” (structures) are needed.

(The Fifth Discipline pgs 219,220)

2 comments:

David said...

Great wisdom here Rich. Thanks for sharing. I think our church does a really good job of allowing people to commit but from time to time we struggle with asking people to comply.

Thanks for the reminder to be asking the right questions.

Unknown said...

"We want them to do what we want them to do, not what God has called them to do." What really bad is when the congregation knows that. I really need good teaching on servanthood but I hate knowing that we're on that topic because it's time to scare up more volunteers. Surely God didn't just save me and gift me just so we could opperate a church? When do I get challenged to really do what God's putting in my heart to do? And am I the only one responsible for equipping myself to do that?

About Me

My photo
I am a slave to no man or institution. I have worked with Frank Tillapaugh for thirty years and most of the ideas are work we would like to share.

The next generation

The next generation
God thank you for two amazing young leaders

Looking Forward

Looking Forward
Each year I get to spend time with young leaders and the gap is growing between them and my generation, why?

Popular Posts