Followers

Sunday, June 16, 2013

We lost the culture...Why?


Several years ago my friend Frank took a walking tour in London that ended up at Wesley’s chapel. As the tour group approached the chapel the guide said, “The 18th century in Britain was Wesley’s century.  He influenced how we thought and how we acted, he influenced the entire culture.” That is an incredible statement: one man, or more accurately a particular group of people, was a major influence in the most powerful country on earth. Wow!

He said, "I don’t know what the others on the tour expected Wesley’s chapel to look like. But I remember the first time that I saw it, I was shocked." It is very modest to say the least, in fact it is both small and stark! The Wesley’s chapel is the total opposite from both the magnificent European Cathedrals and the kind of facilities that church growth experts in the 21st century America would recommend. (Wesley had two chapels, one in London and one in Bristol, both are small and modest).

Wesley’s chapels may have been simple; but they were epicenters for a massive penetration of British culture by the Christian faith. The Wesleyans of 18th century had few resources in terms of facilities, schools or wealthy members, and yet they deeply penetrated their culture.  The Protestants of 21th century America, on the other hand, lost their culture despite having enormous resources. Why? Later this week I will give you at least two reason.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a slave to no man or institution. I have worked with Frank Tillapaugh for thirty years and most of the ideas are work we would like to share.

The next generation

The next generation
God thank you for two amazing young leaders

Looking Forward

Looking Forward
Each year I get to spend time with young leaders and the gap is growing between them and my generation, why?

Popular Posts