Followers

Friday, June 07, 2013


The Quest
A few years ago my friend Ken Baugh and I wrote a book called, The Quest for Christ. We thought it would be a defining moment in the landscape of discipleship. But in the unfriendly landscape of consumer Christianity it was a flop. Why?

 There is a statement in Matthew 10:37-39 that is shocking!

“Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” We may do much Christian service as volunteers but at some point we have to “lose our lives.” and become servants.

One comes away from that passage understanding why Paul told the Philippians to “work out your salvation in fear and trembling.” Jesus and Paul are talking about every Christian’s calling, both their General Calling to live a Christian life and their Special  Calling to discover and pursue the good work or works that God prepared in advance for them to do.

The most challenging and disturbing word in Matthew 10:33-39 in our opinion is the repeated word anyone. In a sacerdotal system only the priests have to worry about their Calling. But, in Protestantism, thanks to the Priesthood of the Believers, no one gets off the hook.

All any Christian needs to be able to discover their calling is a personal relationship with God. But, it can be very helpful if they are part of a supportive Church.

Every church that wants to see everyone in their church have the opportunity to find and follow God’s ministry assignment for their lives faces four “Passion Challenges.”

  1. Create a Passionate Friendly Environment
  2. Create a Passionate Friendly Infrastructure
  3. Create Passionate Friendly Places to Stand
  4. Personalize Passion

1 comment:

Jim Kermath said...

Hey Rich-- I am a pastor and Life/Career Coach in California. I'm reading "Calling" for the first time and consider you & Frank to be my new soul brothers. Any chance we could connect via email? If so: jim@questcoaching.us.
Thanks!

About Me

My photo
I am a slave to no man or institution. I have worked with Frank Tillapaugh for thirty years and most of the ideas are work we would like to share.

The next generation

The next generation
God thank you for two amazing young leaders

Looking Forward

Looking Forward
Each year I get to spend time with young leaders and the gap is growing between them and my generation, why?

Popular Posts